Some of the following facts may be known to you. These facts were recently
published in a German magazine, which deals with
�WORLD HISTORY FACTS ABOUT INDIA�.
1. India never invaded any country in her last 1000 years of history.
2. India invented the Number system. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
3. The world's first University was established in Takshila in 700BC. More than
10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The
University of Nalanda built in the 4 th century BC was one of the greatest
achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
4. According to the Forbes magazine, Sanskrit is the most suitable language for
5. Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans.
6. Although western media portray modern images of India as poverty stricken and
underdeveloped through political corruption, India was once the richest empire
7. The art of navigation was born in the river Sindh 5000 years ago. The very
word "Navigation" is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH.
8. The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the
concept of what is now known as the Pythagorean Theorem. British scholars
have last year (1999) officially published that Budhayan's works dates to
the 6 th Century which is long before the European mathematicians.
9. Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India . Quadratic equations
were by Sridharacharya in the 11 th Century; the largest numbers the Greeks
and the Romans used were 106 whereas Indians used numbers as big as 10 53
10. According to the Gemmological Institute of America, up until 1896, India
was the only source of diamonds to the world.
11. USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century-old suspicion amongst
academics that the pioneer of wireless communication was Professor Jagdeesh
Bose and not Marconi.
12. The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.
13. Chess was invented in India
14. Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists
of his time conducted surgeries like cesareans, cataract, fractures and urinary
stones. Usage of anaesthesia was well known in ancient India .
15. When many cultures in the world were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000
years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley ( Indus Valley
Indiain 100 BC. )